Community Impact – CINews

Jul 2009

Dan 2:21-22  And He changeth the times and the seasons: He removeth kings, and setteth up kings: He giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding: He revealeth the deep and secret things: He knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with Him.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me …

What’s so special about freedom that causes a North Korean family to flee 3,000 miles through China hoping to gain asylum in South Korea?  See the PBS program Crossing Heaven’s Border.  Most people have no IDEA the blessing of freedom we have in America.  With that freedom comes responsibility.

“We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion…. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.  It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”  John Adams

“Bad men cannot make good citizens.  It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains.  A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom.  No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles.”  Patrick Henry

Liberty Rooted in Self-Government.  Noah Webster College presents “Lessons in Liberty” – Indispensable Tenets of Self-Government.  Our goal is to return to the fundamental principles our Founding Fathers literally fought for and lived for.  This seminar will focus on how liberty is manifested in our life, property, and through self-government.  History has shown that only when a people are individually self-governed are they truly free.  Self-government is rooted in Biblical principles.  When our souls are yielded to God, we are free from the chains that bind.

Registration and workshop details, 710-4574, hoskovecfamily@higherspeed.net, $10/person, $15/couple, $20 at the door

“Liberty must at all hazards be supported.  We have a right to it, derived from our Maker.”  John Adams

Sat, Jul 25, 8:30-4:00 at Foothills Fellowship, 12504 Candelaria, Albuquerque

Sat, Aug 1, 8:30-4:00 at Foothills Fellowship, 12504 Candelaria, Albuquerque

Sat, Sep 5, 8:30-4:00 at Christian Life Fellowship, 121 Siringo, Santa Fe

Sat, Sep 26, 8:30-4:00 at Christian Life Fellowship, 121 Siringo, Santa Fe

Training the Next Generation
Christian Heritage Speech Competition

Pro 22:6  Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

1Pe 3:15  But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

1Ti 4:12  Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Pro 2:2  So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;

Where do the great orators of the next generation come from?  They start with speaking opportunities at a young age.  The annual Christian Heritage Speech Competition provides that opportunity.  Experience the excitement and satisfaction of researching Biblical principles and practical wisdom.  A topic for grades 3-5 has been added this year.

Topics and Sponsors – www.rges.cc/chsc

Federal Hate Crimes Legislation

It started out as stiffer penalties for existing crimes based on “state of mind” when the crime was committed.  Now it is morphing into definition of the crime itself.  Coral Ridge Ministries DVD (2009), “Hate Crime Laws,” provides background on a case where a Christian witnessing to a homosexual was later arrested and charged with a hate crime carrying a possible one-year sentence.

Resources and Policy Articles on Hate Crimes Legislation

Hate crimes legislation is really "thought crime" legislation because it penalizes politically-incorrect beliefs, attitudes, and thoughts, rather than actual crimes. FRC abhors violence against anyone, but opposes "thought crime" legislation because it undermines the freedom of speech and religious belief that is at the heart of our democracy.

Written Testimony Prepared for the Senate Judiciary Committee June 23, 2009

The Hate Crimes legislation would authorize the Department of Justice to investigate and prosecute certain bias-motivated crimes based on the victim's actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or disability. Even more troubling is that S.909 could create special protections for pedophiles. Democrats voted down an amendment to the bill that would have excluded pedophilia and other "sexual orientations" from the definition of "sexual orientation."  It is likely that the bill will be introduced as an amendment to the Defense Authorization Bill. If the Senate approves the Hate Crimes amendment, President Obama will sign it into law.http://www3.capwiz.com/afanet/callalert/index.tt?alertid=13736111

For bill status: http://thomas.loc.gov/ (search on s.909)

Legislative alerts: TVACNM

Rev 6:9 - And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held.

Rom 12:14 - Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

Luk 21:12-13 - But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake. And it shall turn to you for a testimony.

Climate Change – Fact or Fiction?

Front page news in the Albuquerque Journal:

“The report, ‘Global Climate Change Impacts in the United States,’ was written by a team of 31 scientists at U.S. universities and federal agencies. It is part of an effort to bring together the latest climate change data for government officials. University of New Mexico climate researcher Joe Galewsky, who was not involved in the project, said the report is consistent with a growing body of evidence that has left little doubt among scientists about the reality of climate change and the need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in response.”  http://www.abqjournal.com/news/state/17227411632newsstate06-17-09.htm

There IS another side to the story:

“The number of skeptics, far from shrinking, is swelling. Oklahoma Sen. Jim Inhofe now counts more than 700 scientists who disagree with the U.N. -- 13 times the number who authored the U.N.'s 2007 climate summary for policymakers. Joanne Simpson, the world's first woman to receive a Ph.D. in meteorology, expressed relief upon her retirement last year that she was finally free to speak "frankly" of her non-belief. Dr. Kiminori Itoh, a Japanese environmental physical chemist who contributed to a U.N. climate report, dubs man-made warming "the worst scientific scandal in history." Norway's Ivar Giaever, Nobel Prize winner for physics, decries it as the "new religion." A group of 54 noted physicists, led by Princeton's Will Happer, is demanding the American Physical Society revise its position that the science is settled. (Both Nature and Science magazines have refused to run the physicists' open letter.) The collapse of the "consensus" has been driven by reality. The inconvenient truth is that the earth's temperatures have flat-lined since 2001, despite growing concentrations of C02. Peer-reviewed research has debunked doomsday scenarios about the polar ice caps, hurricanes, malaria, extinctions, rising oceans. A global financial crisis has politicians taking a harder look at the science that would require them to hamstring their economies to rein in carbon.” http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124597505076157449.html

Eph 5:6  Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Federal Health Care Reform – Abortion Agenda

WASHINGTON (July 8, 2009) – The Obama White House and Democratic congressional leaders are pushing hard for votes in late July on massive "health care reform" bills that contain provisions that would vastly expand access to abortion on demand, override state abortion laws, and establish federal funding of abortion.

Leading pro-abortion advocacy groups, including the Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), NARAL, the National Abortion Federation, and the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice, have made statements in recent days admitting that they hope to mandate "access" to abortion for "all women" through provisions of national health care restructuring legislation.

So far, two massive health care bills have been unveiled, one in the Senate and one in the House. The full House is expected to vote on its version of the bill at the end of July. Senate floor action could occur shortly thereafter.

http://www.capwiz.com/nrlc/issues/alert/?alertid=13157881&type=CO

http://www.nrlc.org/AHC/Index.html