Community Impact – CINews

Sep 2009

2Ch 16:8  Were not the Ethiopians and the Lubims a huge host, with very many chariots and horsemen? yet, because thou didst rely on the LORD, he delivered them into thine hand.

Know the Candidates

Mayor / City Council Election, Tue, Oct 6

What is your criteria for voting for a candidate?  If it’s more than a just a pretty face, you’ll need to do some research.  You might read the Albuquerque Journal or LWV Voter Guides.  Or you might read the candidates’ websites or election literature.  If you were really conscientious, you might call or email the candidates in your district with specific questions.  Then again, if you are really busy, you might just pick a name off the ballot.

For a deeper look at specific issues, www.rges.cc/voterguide is now available with responses from City Council and Mayor candidates.  If you do not see a response from candidate(s) in your district, please call and encourage them to respond.  A list of candidate contact information is provided on the website.  One candidate initially refused to respond, with the excuse “separation of church and state.”  This is either a misunderstanding of separation or a deliberate attempt to hide information.  The “wall” of separation was originally introduced as, and understood to be, a one-directional wall protecting the church from the government.  This was also Jefferson’s understanding, as conveyed through statements he made concerning the First Amendment.  (Ref The Myth of Separation, David Barton, 1991, p42)  The candidate did respond to some of the survey questions.

*   Voter Registration Closes Tue, Sep 8

*   Early Voting

*   Absentee Voting

*   Candidate Contact Information (pdf)

*   Guidelines for Political Activities by Churches and Pastors (pdf)

The easiest way to obtain an absentee ballot is to call the City Clerk, 768-3030.  Otherwise, filling out an application for an application for a ballot just creates an unnecessary step.  The City will not provide blank application forms for absentee ballots.

Fundamentals of Marriage

Does it matter who gets “married” in a secular society?  Why not let someone marry his pet rock?  This may sound facetious, but unfortunately, there is no end to personal unions once the gate is open.  Oddly enough, in states that allow homosexual “marriage,” very few homosexuals actually get “married.”  FRC reported the phenomena as only a desire for affirmation rather than real benefits (already available) provided by the legal institution of marriage. http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=WU09I02

One man and one woman has been the standard for marriage for all stable societies since the time of Gen 2.  Breaking that standard has consequences.  We’re on the road to normalizing pedophilia, incest, polygamy, necrophilia, bestiality, etc.  God’s standard can be broken through individual choices, civil law, and organizational policy.  The government couldn’t very well enforce sodomy laws so they were taken off the books.  That wasn’t enough, so the government provided benefits to partners of same-sex couples and mandated that businesses of a certain size do the same (non-discrimination).  NM allowed same-sex couples to adopt children.  Some states have passed legislation granting the status of “marriage” to same-sex couples.

Now we are seeing formerly traditional organizations fold to the pressure of government funding.  To receive federal, state, or city funding, organizations are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.  So marriage counseling organizations that receive government funding (e.g., NM Marriages First Project, NM Family Lifeline, www.themarriagelifeline.com/) must also counsel homosexual couples, evaluating them like any other married couple.  Whereas, God desires sexually intimate relationships only between married couples of the opposite sex, some formerly traditional organizations now promote same-sex unions.  They do this quietly so as to receive support from churches while still pandering to the homosexual community.  Contributions and involvement with these organizations not only supports the homosexual agenda but endorses a standard for society far different from God’s standard for marriage.  Has He really changed His standard (as some believe) since He fried Sodom and Gomorrah?

Fundamentals of Climate Change

In the month of August, the City conducted ten Town Hall meetings throughout Albuquerque, promoting the Climate Action Plan (CAP).  Now the plan will go to the City Council for approval.  The purpose of the Town Hall meetings was to build support, targeting specific groups of people – “pioneers (1%),” “early adopters (9%),” and “early majority (40%).”  Even the “late adopters (50%)” are categorized as “ready for change.”

The City proposes to spend $2B to reduce green house gasses by 80%.  The CAP states that the threat to NM is MORE RAIN if global warming is allowed to continue.  Anyone in their right mind would notice that NM doesn't get much rain.  If one does not believe in the religion of global warming, the City is wasting our money.  If one does believe that reducing green house gasses in the amount specified in the CAP can actually change the climate, then NM loses rain.  The CAP also labels those who oppose the plan "laggards," designating 10% of the population as people who will not "believe."  Of course, the percentage could be larger in reality but the general population would never know it since the City has decided to ignore the laggards anyway.  The Town Hall meetings were stacked with presenters and radical environmentalists so my comments were lost in the noise (www.rges.cc/cap.pdf).  The plan goes before the City Council now that the Town Hall meetings are complete.  They announced at the final Town Hall meeting that they want to implement the CAP by Jan 2010.  All this while the controversy rages over the legitimacy of global warming (re: US Chamber of Commerce putting EPA on trial, Aug 27, LA Times, www.globalwarmingskeptics.info).  Will candidates for city council and mayor address this travesty?

A presenter in the Town Hall meetings claimed the cost estimate was unreliable and to ignore the $2B bottom line.  A presenter in the Town Hall meetings claimed the New Age philosophy that “we are all connected” and though NM does not experience the worst of global warming, we must be willing to give up our rain to others more worthy than ourselves (regardless that we have no idea who will actually receive this precipitation once we drive it out of NM).  A presenter in the Town Hall meetings claimed the demographic target (pioneers to laggards) was just a mathematical model.  Unfortunately, a mathematical model is devoid of values and is just a marketing plan to influence the public, regardless of the validity or morality of the plan.

What’s the source of all this passion to “fix” global warming?  It appears to be an agreement between the mayors of various cities.  US Mayors Climate Protection Agreement:

    • http://usmayors.org/climateprotection/agreement.htm
    • Under the Agreement, participating cities commit to take following three actions:
      • -  Strive to meet or beat the Kyoto Protocol targets in their own communities, through actions ranging from anti-sprawl land-use policies to urban forest restoration projects to public information campaigns;
      • - Urge their state governments, and the federal government, to enact policies and programs to meet or beat the greenhouse gas emission reduction target suggested for the United States in the Kyoto Protocol -- 7% reduction from 1990 levels by 2012; and
      • - Urge the U.S. Congress to pass the bipartisan greenhouse gas reduction legislation, which would establish a national emission trading system
    • Donald Carroll Alamogordo NM
    • Martin Chavez Albuquerque NM
    • Sam Hammons Capitan NM
    • Ken Miyagishima Las Cruces NM
    • Bryan Olguin Peralta NM
    • Thomas Swisstack Rio Rancho NM
    • L. Ray Nunley Ruidoso NM
    • David Coss Santa Fe NM
    • James Marshall Silver City NM
    • Bobby Duran Taos NM

Who’s going to pay for it?  YOU WILL!

“Start Believing Those Long Range Forecasts, When and IF They Start Getting the 5 day Right!”

Fundamentals of Health Care

To help you navigate a bill with more corridors than a hospital annex, FRC Action is hosting a second, live webcast with Members of Congress, physicians, and policy experts on Thursday, September 10, at 8:30pm EDT (6:30pm MDT).

Register Now for FRC Action's Live Webcast - A National Townhall on Health Care Reform to be held Thursday, September 10, 2009

From rationed care that could deny treatment to the elderly and the most needy, to abortions funded by your tax dollars, there are many issues to address.  Who chooses what constitutes “health care” and who is allowed to receive it?  Those are the fundamental questions at stake.  Our representatives have confessed that the legislation is too long and complicated to read.  So once passed, there will be ample loopholes to implement whatever liberal policies they dream up – abortion, infanticide, euthanasia, and treatment of behavior related diseases.

What is a Biblical approach to healthcare?  For one, healthcare is not a right established by the Constitution.  Secondly, the Church has a mandate to care for the sick.  Money that could be given to the Church or religious healthcare organizations is instead usurped by taxes for socialized healthcare.

“Since nearly everyone is talking about a national health plan, it might provide a

great opportunity for Lighthouses to remind friends and neighbors that God has a

health plan for all of humanity, and it starts by carefully examining our hearts.  So let’s

take a look at how His national health plan would help us … Let Him Shine!”  Read “The Best National Health Plan” by Kim Crisman, Lightshine Ministries, www.lightshine.net

Pro-life Health Care Reform is Possible: Affordable, unrationed coverage for everyone is plausible

Nutrition is essential for a viable healthcare plan.  St Joseph Community Health has assembled a comprehensive “Food Resources Guide.”

CONDITION RED

President Obama and top Democratic congressional leaders are pushing hard for health care bills containing the greatest expansion of abortion since Roe v. Wade!

Take action NOW!

Learn MORE about this critical issue.

New NRLC factsheet (pdf)!

Dialog with an Atheist, Part V of V

This dialog began with the premise that John was challenging what Jesus really meant (interpretation).  In the Jul issue of CINews, John wrote: “Face it, religion is based on myth.  Its purpose is to control behavior.  Your religion is not right, nor wrong, it's simply a belief system.  Just like the HUNDREDS of other religions on the planet.  United States Citizens should not be held accountable to Civil Laws based upon a book of fiction.  PERIOD.”  Arguments are a bit different when dialoging with an atheist.  Jud 1:18-9 - How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.  These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.